Ludwig’s Corner, located in West Vincent Township, stands at the intersection of Routes 100 and 401 which is known as the Conestoga Pike. This was the main path of travel between Philadelphia and western towns and villages as far as Lancaster. Ironmasters made use of this transportation route and utilized flat wagons with the arched design that would float when forging creeks and rivers. These became known as the Conestoga Wagon. The Captain Lawrence Tavern was located here in 1816 and a general store supplied everything from horse collars to patent medicines. The post office was here also. Today Ludwig’s Corner still provides services to the community with the Ludwig’s Grille and Oyster Bar in the old historic building surrounded with shops and markets.
Photo courtesy of the Chester County Historical Society, West Chester, PA.