In 1845 an association of abolitionists purchased the land and built a hall next to the Meetinghouse, which they called the Free Hall and later the People's Hall as a result of fears of threats to the Fallowfield Meeting House.
Ercildoun became known as center of the Underground Railroad with groups as large as 33 escaped slaves passing through town.
In 1854 Rebecca Lukens was buried in the Fallowfiled Orthodox Friends burying ground in the village. She was the owner and manager of the iron and steel mill whcjh became Lukens Steel Company in Coatesville. Fortune Magazine named her "America's first female CEO of an industrial company".
The hamlet of Mortonville was founded between 1767 and 1772 by Thomas Hayes, who erected a grist mill and sawmill where the Strasburg Road crossed the Brandywine Creek, on the east bank.
In 1850 the Mortonville Hotel was estblished to serve both stock-drovers and other travelers along Strasburg Road.
1 1/2 miles south of the village is the remains of Laurel Iron Works.
Today activity centers on canoe rentals on the creek.